Friends of Pecos

Sunday, October 5, 2008

64th. REEVES COUNTY FAIR.





Went to the Fair on Friday night for a little while...but ALAS!
My camera batteries ran out.
So I did not get pictures of the quilts, goats, sheep and booths etc.
(I took these pictures today when I went over there to get my pot.)

I did make my first journey into the world of a CAKE WALK.
A little girl advised me that skipping, dancing and jiving was encouraged. I was behind a guy in a motorized wheelchair...so did not "jive" much.
There's a big circle painted on the floor with numbers.
Ya pay a dollar and stand on any square....I chose #3.
The music starts and you walk around and around the circle...when the music stops a number is drawn out of a bag...whomever is on that number wins the cake of their choice.

I entered a painted flower pot in the Arts and Crafts division and won a blue ribbon.
I didn't even check....there probably wasn't even anyone else IN my division.
What REALLY annoyed me was that my pot was put on the floor over in a corner and nobody even SAW it.
I'd rather have had it on a table with NO blue ribbon and had folks SEE my art.
But the volunteers work really hard out there setting up and judging etc....so I didn't say anything.
But still....I was pretty disappointed.

We were sorry to miss the judging of the sheep and goats on Saturday as we were in Ft. Davis.
The kids all work really hard feeding and caring for their animals for months and then bathe them and baby them etc.
These competitions were sanctioned and very important.
It's all very cute and West Texas and cool.

Check out the excellent pumpkins grown in nearby Coyanosa.
A BLUE pumpkin...I LOVE IT!!
Actually...it looks more like a gray pumpkin....masquerading as a big, fat TICK!

Love, mary

No comments: