Friends of Pecos

Saturday, November 7, 2009

GUADALUPE NATIONAL PARK. Part 3.










1. It's a stick...looks like an animal skin....or a snake.
2. The Pratt Lodge kitchen. I don't know why I didn't get pictures of the fireplace and bedroom.
3. Gene exiting the Pratt Lodge. It's a rock house that was built in 1930 and used as a vacation place for the Pratt Family. They lived in Houston and he was an oil man. They lived there full time later in 1945 for a few years. Mr. Pratt donated about 5,000 acres to the park about 1960.
4. Entrance to the lodge. This was where we had a nice picnic. You can hike farther into the canyon...but we didn't.
5. Pratt Lodge.
6. This is a picnic table outside the lodge. It's a whole piece of rock.
7. Check out the roof.
8. More trudging along.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a fun hike. did ya'll actually get to stay in that rock house?
no water or bathrooms...oh my. you must of carried in some water, right?
I would have loved to do that, but someone would have to carry me out, or we would have to stop and rest and snack a lot. fantastic pics. as always.
goo' job.
k

Dan G. said...

Hey Mary, those pictures of Guadalupe Peak bring back memories of when Fred Sanderson and a couple of us went up to the top and camped out. It was all I could do then, I can't imagine trying it now. Great Pictures. Dan