Friends of Pecos

Sunday, April 6, 2008

EDITED! COME TRIPPIN' W/ ME TO SAN ANTONIO....& Pecos Etc.















ANONYMOUS "G" just sent me a message regarding Blue the parakeet...who are you "G"?
Please sign your names when commenting....when I try to reply to these "anonynous" messages they are sent back to me...always....so please sign your name.

Unless you are a Daniels or a Woodruff, photo #8 won't mean much to you.
RE: 208 Elizabeth Dr....all they left was General Woodruff's pecan tree.
I saw at least 15 homes for sale on their street.
Everybody's yard is so beautiful with flower beds and green grass.

I went to the Ft. Sam cemetery and put flowers at Mom & Dad's and Gran & Woody's grave. It had been at least a year since I'd been there and I was so glad to go. Their graves are in a convenient to find and park nearby spot....BUT...no matter when I've gone there over the years....there is ALWAYS a service going on or about to begin and either I can't get there because of cars...or am asked to move my vehicle unless I want to be penned in for an hour. Plus there's always the hearing of "TAPS" and guns being shot off...which always makes me cry...but it's all O.K....that's just part of Ft. Sam cemetery.

It was nice to see Brook and sister Jane her husband Michael were in San Marcos visiting Toby...so I got to see them also. And I went to see my mother in law.

I LOVE to go to Brackenridge Park and Sunken Gardens!!! It reminds me of picnics there with Gran and Woody when I was a kid. And I used to cut school as a teenager and hang out at Sunken Gardens and at night and on weekends.
My pictures of Kiddie Park on Broadway didn't turn out very well so I didn't post them. It's seen it's better days...but hey it's been there since 1925...so what do you expect???? It's soooo cool that it's STILL open!!

I drove all around Alamo Heights and the outside of Ft. Sam....I.E.: Funston, Army, Post, Pine, Grayson & Pershing Streets....past the old horseback riding stables... & the long gone Playland Park...looks like they are tearing down the Officer's Club.
Where the S.A. Botanical Gardens are located now...is right behind the post near where out house is on Graham Rd...we used to ride bikes there...we called it "Snake Hill".

And right near the botanical gardens there was a little store called "Henry's"...we'd ride bikes there everyday to buy candy....it's a VFW hall now.

Ate lunch at La Fonda.
Found a great estate sale and bought cool stuff.

THE DRIVE THERE & BACK:
Saw lots of evidence of many grass fires.
A few bluebonnets...pretty disappointing...but many other kinds of wildflowers...not the hopeful...usual "blankets" of them. The yuccas were blooming nicely.

Saw a wild turkey and 2 teenage sized deer with white spots.
I get fed up with that drive the last hour or two...doesn't matter whether I'm coming or going...it's loooooong.

Funny things in Fredericksburg:
Cranky Franky's Bar-B-Q...now that name isn't something that makes me wanna eat there.
A street called Schmidtzinsky...GREAT name!
Closer to home:
P.U.! Oil field gas stinks.
Saw 2 cowboys leanin' against their pick ups...evidently chewin' the fat..and hey...it's spring round up time...thus one of them had a flatbed hooked up behind his truck and it had a tiny helicopter on it!

Stopped at two different diners to eat....ya know the rolling of silverware is a lost art....don't get me started on my waitressing years.
Saw a "Pecos Eagles" school bus about 2 hours from home...wonder where they were going?

PECOS NEWS:
The store where I work...Needleworks, was burglarized last Sunday night...stupid JUNKIES!! It could've been worse, but I felt SO bad for my boss Peggy. She works SO hard just keeping the place open in this sad little town.

The hummingbirds are here! They arrived about a week ago and we enjoy watching them so much!

RADIO HOTLINE:
Found: a white rabbit.
Wanted: Property w/ burned structure. (Huh?)

THE FOLLOWING IS MY FAVORITE ALL TIME HOTLINE REMARK!!!!!!!-----
Found: a white dog in a pink dress.
(Saw Ruth the animal rescue lady yesterday....the dog got out...the owner was found. He dresses up his dog yet doesn't put a dog tag on the collar so we'll know who it belongs to??? DUMB-ASS!!

And the skies are not cloudy all day....here in Pecos.
Thanks for reading my blog.
Love, mary

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mary,
Thanks for all the pics from your trip. That is a pretty impressive house at 208 now. Glad to hear the hummingbirds have arrived.
Love,
Dave

Unknown said...

hi mom, gorgeous pix!