Friends of Pecos

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

VICTORY FOR OBAMA! Edited.



It's all over finally....yet just beginning.
I was surprised to learn that 52% of Reeves county voted for Barak Obama.
I generally think of Pecos as a VERY conservative and somewhat prejudiced town.
Why anyone would WANT to be president right now is waaaaay beyond me.
Give him a year or two and let's see what he can accomplish.
Gene and I early voted...the second to the last day.
There were 3 people ahead of us. (Dan and Bobbie waited an hour and a half in Kyle).

We don't use voting machines.
We ARE the machines.
We get a paper ballot and color in the oval next to the candidates we want.
Then we drop our ballot into a big 'ol black, metal box with a big padlock on it.
There were 3 bond issues up for votes.
It was SO close.
One of them was 49% "yes" and 51% "no"...the other two were almost as close.
Two passed: one for a new library.
And one for a stupid recreation thing...improvements on the golf course and a water park thing etc.
THAT'S THE ONE WE ESPECIALLY DID NOT WANT TO PASS!!!!
Actually, we didn't want any of them.
I had to edit this post because I had seen that only the new library thing had passed and found later that I was misinformed.

Ew. I am monogramming these webbed harness thingies for the Pecos EMS. The bossman asked me to put the stitching lower....near where you would bind the feet of a hurt person on a board for transport...because it'd get LESS BLOOD ON IT THERE! O.K....but Ew. And there are about 15 of them. Gee, that should last Pecos about 10 or 15 years. Unless maybe there would be a horrible oil field explosion....or a nasty tornado etc.

Yes folks, news is slow here....so on to weather.

It's been 88 degrees and 90 one day last week.
Both days...those were the warmest in the state.
Today: high 67 and tonight 32 degrees.
I'm about to bust out my flannel sheets.
Gene and I are both sorry that our fireplace was closed up many years ago.
The chimney doesn't even stick out of the roof anymore.
We enjoyed our fireplace in Kyle very much.

Ya know, I used to cringe whenever I heard someone using really terrible grammar.
I must be getting used to it...now, I find it rather charming....depending on the person.
A recent overheard expression: "Lord, she had money....but Lord, she was tight. Lord, she was as tight as bark on a tree!"

Radio Hotline:
Found-5 gallon bucket of white paint. call to identify.
Wanted-2 Biblical costumes.

That's All.
Mary

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YES, I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT YHE GRAMMAR THING. I FIND IT CAN BE VERY FUNNY AND EDUCATIONAL. THOSE THINGS COME FROM SOMEONE'S PAST AND IT IS USUALLY A FOND MEMORY OF A LOVED ONE. I HEAR MY MOM SAY THINGS THAT I HAVE NEVER HEARD BEFORE AND SHE SAYS THAT HER DAD OR AUNT OR SOME SUCH USED TO SAY IT AND THEN SHE SMILES FROM THE MEMORY. I USE BAD GRAMMAR SOMETIMES JUST FOR AFFECT.( OR IS THAT EFFECT?) AND...YEAH, WE DID IT. I FEEL BETTER ABOUT THE HUMAN SPIRIT ALREADY. THERE IS HOPE FOR THE WORLD YET.
JAMEY CALLED US FROM NY WHEN THE PRESIDENTIAL ANNOUNCEMENT WAS MADE AND WE COULD HEAR ALL THE PEOPLE IN TIMES SQUARE SCREAMING FOR JOY. IT WAS SO COOL.
CIAO,
K

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom,

Actually, from what I've read, Reeves County almost always goes Blue. Mostly because of the high number of immigrants and latinos who live there and vote dem. Honestly, I'm surprised Obama only got 52% there-- you sure? usually when I look at the election results map for any race in TX, all the counties are red except for Travis (Austin), a smattering out west (inc. reeves), and several counties along the border.

In any case, every vote really does count even if you feel like you're swimming against the current in your county. If the electoral college is close, which it wasn't this time :), then the election hinges on the popular vote. I'm really glad you and dad voted and made your voices heard! yay Obama!

now what is this crap about a water park in Pecos?? that sounds crazy.

luv,
j