Friends of Pecos

Friday, January 18, 2008

FRIDAY ODDS-N-ENDS.

Hi bloggers.
It's cold here in Pecos....been in the "teen's" at night.

I went to the museum today to try to find some people that folks who visit the Reeves Co. website are looking for...couldn't find 'em...I HATE THAT!
But here are some interesting things from a newspaper dated 1930:

A giant Fokken amphibian airplane landed in town and everybody went out to see it.

In 1912 there were 5 graduating seniors from the high school...and 26 in 1930.

"Kitten Crawford was down from Toyah yesterday meowing his way about town."

The newspaper always lists the names of guests registered at the 3 hotels every week...that's weird I think.

T.B. Pruett was on the list of runners up in the campaign to beautify your home place.

Debbie (the director of the museum (gave me some red yucca plants to take home. She says ya just scoop out a shallow spot and stick 'em in the ground and they are fine....o.k. by me. The museum was thinning theirs out and had to remove some so the city workers could put up scaffolding to paint the window frames outside.

Why do people out here call their long underwear "long handles"? No one seems to know.

Sib's Father's saying: "I'm so poor I can't buy a low necked blouse for a hummingbird."

I'm pretty excited about the Chamber of Commerce banquet next month. ELMER KELTON the famous western author is going to be the speaker and I've been invited to sit at the museum table...(I have no idea why.) And then the next day Mr. Kelton will have a book signing party at the museum.

RADIO HOTLINE:
For Sale:
rope halters $7. ea....(bet ya'll don't see that in YOUR classifieds.)
Wanted:
lady with a house at Balmorhea lake. (i'm sure this is just somebody who wants the lady to call them....but it looks funny.)
2 different people were looking for a dog groomer....my groomer Sheila is great...duh. (maybe she's too expensive for them...$20.)

Gene's job still in limbo...nothing new.

that's all.
love, mary

No comments: