Friends of Pecos

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

TOYAH HISTORY, CARLSBAD AUCTION, PECOS MUSEUM & funny west texas names. ETC.


Hi bloggers.
I was just looking over the catalog of items up for sale this Saturday in Carlsbad.
they have 875 items up for bids.
AN ACCORDIAN! I've always wanted one...why? Hell if I know...I just want one. Can't you JUST SEE me playing an accordian?
There is everything imaginable...hat pins...(want them)....children's spurs...(definitely want them)...a garden arch...etc.etc.
There is going to be a special pair of spurs that are estimated to bring $800. to $1,000.
The sidepart...whatever you call that....is shaped like a ladies leg.
I'll try and post a picture...don't know if you'll be able to see the leg...it's the ones pictured in the middle.
I'm pretty pumped to have something fun to do this weekend.
Wish we could spend the night and go to the sunday auction as well....after all it IS the last one.

I know that I've talked about this before...last year in my blogs...BUT I JUST LOVE THOSE 'OL WEST TEXAS NAMES! For women: Tempie, Beenie, Muriel, Bertrene (oh man, that's a doozy), Maedell (almost just as bad).
And for men: Loss, Jelly, Brushy Joe, Wimpy, Speedy, Boomer.
Creamy is still my favorite.
I think Gene and I should change our names.
I found out that "Shine" Avary was called that because his Daddy...(Shine Sr.) was a shoe shine boy down at the train station in Barstow...his Daddy's actual name was Quincy George...jeez, I'd prefer shine too if i was him.
Then some guys were just called "sonny" or simply "son".

I was reading a book today at the museum called "Toyah Taproots" (good name huh?) and it had a picture of these folks standing in front of Amelia Earhart's plane....from when she landed there.
Then I saw a horse named "skeeter" and a man named "skeeter"...but the horse-skeeter was not owned by the man-skeeter.
And the verbal histories just KILL me...they are so funny and cool and quaint:
"By golly...I should smile!"
"Boy howdy,everyone said that Aunt Bertie was a little itty bitty thing, you know wasn't bigger than a bar of soap! She was even smaller than Aunt Jo!" (said as if we all should know who aunt jo was.)

Toyah history:
it was a trading post for the ranches out here. It is the oldest townsite in the area.
then the railroad came there in 1881 and later that year the stagecoach started running from toyah to ft. davis and ft. stockton 6 times a week.
in 1910 it was the major cattle shipping town.
there was 1,000 folks living there at one time.
in 2000 the population was 100.
it's even sadder looking than pecos.
The toyah graduating class sometimes had only 4 seniors during the 20's and 30's.

That's all the dumb or interesting news.
dumb to some...interesting to others.
some parts are dumb...some parts are interesting...pick one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recall that Hewey Calloway, the cowboy in Elmer Kelton's books had a pair of "gal-leg" spurs. He claimed that it took a man "with a certain style" to be able to wear them spurs.

R.B.

Unknown said...

awesome blog-- many laughs! always love your writing style :)