Friends of Pecos

Friday, January 25, 2008

NOTHING MUCH. (Edited.)

We were supposed to have sleet and snow yesterday and didn't get any. It's been so cold for so long. This weekend it'll get up into the 70's.

I finally finished the darn City of Pecos bulky, hard-to-hoop coveralls and overalls yesterday. I was sore from leaning over the machine and my arms hurt from hooping. Glad that's done. Peggy said it was like wrestling a bear, which she has probably done...now I know what it must be like to wrestle a bear...I wrestled 25 of them.

There's a lady who works at the museum named Jo and she lives in Barstow...6 miles east from here. She told me a story last week about this woman named Mrs. Irby Dyer. She always called her husband "Mr. Irby." (Should I try calling Gene "Mr. Geno"?)
Now Mrs. Dyer loved hats and owned hundreds of them...and they were BIG, fancy ones. This was back when ladies wore hats and gloves every day.
Jo and her husband rented the Irby's house and eventually bought it.
Mrs. Irby rented six rooms somewhere in town to keep all her hats! One time she sold one of the four fireplace mantles in their house to finance her hat buying! I wonder what Mr. Irby thought of that? She hung a damask curtain over the fireplace so he wouldn't know the mantle was gone. After all she had 3 others and you can't wear a mantle piece on your head!
I asked Jo whatever happened to all those hats and she didn't know.
Durn...wish I could've seen the sight of them removing truckloads of hats and hat boxes from the six rooms.
Jo also said that when Mrs. Dyer would buy gas she'd write a check for a little more than the price of gas and would make the gas station attendant promise not to tell her husband....so then after gassing up a few times she'd have some "hat cash."

When I was at work the other day this lady named Donna who works across the street at the Senior Citizens Center called me to ask if I'd seen "that weird animal streak across the street". I had not seen it. She said it wasn't a fox but told me there is a family of foxes living right downtown in an empty lot. She said it was for sure not a dog. Then after she talked to herself (seemingly) for about 5 minutes with me listening on the other end of the line...she proclaimed that the animal was a baby bobcat and hung up. Gee...wild animals in downtown Pecos...sounds like a rabies story waiting to happen.

Gene claimed a ghostly experience the other day. He said that the back door that opens into the mud room (where our washer/dryer is) opened at least a foot by itself. The door now has a draft guard under it and cannot just swing or move on it's own...you gotta PUSH or PULL it open and shut. He thought it was me coming inside. He looked and out and no one was there. These things seem to happen mostly to him and not me.

I just bought my ticket to the Chamber of Commerce Banquet...the theme this year is "Hang your hat in Pecos"....it's in the middle of February. All the new billboards that I see say "Hang your hat in Pecos."

Radio Hotline:
For Sale:
Kids. (i know they mean a goat...but it looks funny.)
twin size camo comforter, pillows and canopy. (ew.)
Wanted:
a halloween devil mask for a church play.
Give:
a bag of cat litter. (why didn't they just call up 'ol Ruth the cat rescue lady?)

I guess that's all.
I'm bored and it isn't even noon yet.
I'll go run some errands and do some house wife type things.
Love, mary

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeekers, wild animules in downtown Pecos?! Doesn't bode well for the really domesticated pets. And "hats", well, ya gotta find find SOME kinda hobby or avocation, I suppose. Hey, look up the dining car fare for the ol' Texas & Pacific RR - see if you can find the famed Pecos melons!

R.B.

Dan G. said...

Maybe the lady saw a "Chupacabra" crossing the street. It supposed to inhabit West Texas now.