Friends of Pecos

Thursday, June 26, 2008

OLD TIMER'S, MUSEUM ART ETC.











The Old Timer's reunion was fine but not as many folks as usual.
I think between gas prices and health issues...some regulars didn't come.

Photo #4. Dick Slack and "the law". Mr. Slack is the grandson of "Uncle Henry" Slack, still drives a car (which is scary), and is a former State Representative. Uncle Henry was the last surviving contestant of the original rodeo. In 1883 eight cowboys gathered to settle some friendly bragging in regards to roping cows etc...and celebrate the 4th of July.
Dick used to ask his Grandaddy (Born 1868-died 1944) why he didn't win the steer roping in that first rodeo. His reply was: "Well, they cut out a suckling calf for Trav and a fresh, young steer for me. I caught the steer, and he jerked my horse down which knocked me out. By the time I came to, they were all down at the saloon spending the prize money." Uncle Henry used to be found in his later years in the lobby of the Brandon Hotel dressed up in his finest cowboy duds....holding court and meeting and greeting any passers by. His grandson Dick and wife Charlotte live here in Pecos.

Photo #5. The Pate sisters from Saragosa, TX.
Photo #7. Debbie, Jesse (the new bartender) and Mr. Odem.

I didn't take many pictures at the reunion...don't know why...just didn't see anyone or anything too interesting.
A few comments that I overheard at reunion:

"He ain't an Old Timer!" (Reply) "I should say he IS!!!"
"How you been?" (Reply) "Mean as a snake."
"Well, I used to run that water station over in Barstow. It was hard water....but it was GOOD water."
A nice woman approached me and asked: "oh say....do you still have that red bathroom in your house?" (I assured her we did.)

The art in these photos is by a western artist from Midland named Betty Sue Rose. She grew up on a ranch and you can see that she is very talented and knows her western stuff!

Our open house was fine but lightly attended.

Stay tuned for parade pictures.

MDP

NEWS FLASH....Our escaped and now "wild" parakeet Blue is ALIVE!! Don't know how many times I've typed this news in my blog...but...we hadn't seen him for over 2 months...so it's big news for us. He visits our feeder VERY seldom and has been around for a year!

No comments: