Friends of Pecos

Sunday, January 6, 2008

SARAGOSA, TX CEMETERY







Yesterday I drove out to the Saragosa cemetery looking for a grave for Effie Roscoe who died in 1910...I'm doing research for someone.

Jeez, how can you find someone when the graves look like this? I almost didn't see this old part of the cemetery and just about drove right by...I was pretty shocked. I'm from a military family and my relatives are in military cemeteries (where the U.S. Govt. keeps everything "just so") and am not used to seeing burial plots in such a sad state. But then I reminded myself that the elements are very harsh out here and if there aren't living family members nearby who care about keeping their ancester's graves fixed up there isn't much else that can happen to them except this. Saragosa was a farming community populated by primarily poor hispanics.

This is also a very sad place because May 22, 1987 there was a devastating tornado in Saragosa that injured 121 and killed 30....many of them little children. The population was only 183 so the storm touched everyone in town.

You can be sure I kept an eye out for snakes! The new part of this cemetery is fairly well taken care of. I only saw 3 names that were caucasian....so I suppose Effie isn't there. I'll try the Toyah cemetery next...there are 3 there. I also have never been to the other 3 Pecos cemeteries...there's an old timers one on IH 20. Just call me "cemetery lady."

I guess some people would find the idea of tromping around cemeteries weird or macabre but hey...it's all part of history.

RADIO HOTLINE:
Wanted:
4 or 5 cats. (no problemo there...got plenty of those!)
Lost:
THREE bassett hounds.
For Sale:
an orange crushed velvet couch. (ew.)
a blue crushed velvet couch and chair....reduced price. (double ew...and i'm not surprised that it's reduced!)
What is this? crushed velvet day?


That's all folks.
write me.
love, mary

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mary,
I finally sat down and caught up on your recent blogs. Nice camera work. I really like the one of Gene and Jamey in the kitchen. Good for you for volunteering to check the cemeteries for out of town folks and taking pics. Very good thing to do.
Love,
Dave