Friends of Pecos

Friday, September 5, 2008

PUTNAM, TEXAS.






I just needed to stretch my legs last weekend...and saw this derelict, old main street and pulled off the road to take some pictures.
WHAT IS THAT MUD HOME TO SOME CREATURE??? The best idea so far is a crawfish hole. Anyone? Anyone?

In 1880 this town was known as CATCLAW....I love that name!

Putnam was supposed to be a resort in 1910 for mineral waters.
Instead it turned to fruit raising and oil production.

J.H. Burkett discovered the original papershell pecans near there.

Population:
1890-250
1940-487
1980-116
1990-103
2000-88

All I know is that I wish I owned that neon sign in that closed up building.
MDP

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Code of The West: there's a Right Way and a Wrong Way - and The COWBOY Way!

R.B

Anonymous said...

Dear Mary,
Where do you get the info such as population in different years?
Love,
Dave