Friends of Pecos

Sunday, February 22, 2009

MY BROTHER BROOK WINS THE BLOG QUIZ!!!

I KNEW he'd know all about the bullet Rosie found.
Thanks Brook!!
P.S. A second email from him says that on a 2nd closer look that this bullet has NOT been fired. (Should I not jump up and down on it then?)
I'm sure he's right about somebody finding it on one of the WWII air bases near here and bringing it home for the kids to play with....or something like that.

His email reply:

The bullet appears to be a .50 caliber machine gun round. It's
non-explosive, so you can jump up and down on it all day if you want to.
This ammunition was almost exclusively fired from the M-2 air cooled
machine gun using metal-linked belts. This gun was really impressive and
REALLY heavy, as was the ammo - I know because I used one for tank
gunnery when I was a baby cavalry officer in Germany. I was pretty damn
good with it too. This machine gun design first appeared in the U.S.
Army during the later stages of WWI and proved to be so good that we've
never found a better gun - it's still being used as the tank commander's
weapon on the M-1 main battle tanks of today.

Where did yours come from? You know that Pyote AAF was a big bomber
training base during WWII, yes? The Army Air Corps used the Fifty
extensively on aircraft of all descriptions. The B-17G bomber, for
example, had THIRTEEN of these babies on each airplane! The bullet you
have appears to have been fired ...... so I'm figgerin' that someone
found it out in the desert firing ranges and brought it home as a
momento (after fighting with a rattlesnake to get it). Sign me up for
the History Detectives!

Hope all of that helps ......

3 comments:

Dan G. said...

Damn, I'm impressed!

Anonymous said...

omg...the tree, the tree...who wants Bailey's? It is fabulous. The lizard on willie's back is a hoot.
What would that sell for? Could you shape it into giant Christmas ornaments?
ciao,
k

Anonymous said...

Oh my Oh My...I did good...I think we ought to go out to the area around the Rattle Snake base, wear snake boots (aka rubber boots) and look for more