Friends of Pecos

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

PRAYING MANTIDS...and other news.




My praying mantis is a girl...so her name should not be "manny"...haha.
Here's some info I found online about praying mantis'...some of it seems ridiculous.
They have huge appetites and can eat up to 16 crickets a day...and also eat soft shell turtles, frogs, mice and birds...yeah right....they must be BIG praying mantids!!
They are the only insect that can trun it's head from side to side like a human.
They mate for up to 6 hours and contrary to popular belief the female only eats the male from 5 to 31% of the time.
There are 2,000 kinds of praying mantis.

When I was over at Bill and Sib's last week Bill told me this story. They moved here from New Mexico in the 1980's to farm and the first thing he did was repair and generally fix up all the irrigation on the property. By the time he got that done it was September and he was in a hurry to get his alfalfa seed planted. Someone suggested he hire a crop duster to spread the seed...he'd never heard of such a thing (me neither). So, the crop duster guy said he'd come but didn't have a "flagger"....Bill said he and Sib would flag for him. I didn't know what that meant....he said two people need to stand on opposite corners of the field and wave their flags as the plane goes by so the pilot knows where to let go of the seed. Sib said she didn't like doing this much at all...it scared her as the plane flies so low...ah...the work of a farmer's wife. Then they "step off"....I didn't know what that meant either. He siad then you have to step off a certain amount of space and wave your flag again so the pilot knows where to carry on seeding. Bill said that within the hour it began to rain lightly and continued to do so all day. "Well I'll say!" "Well...I SHOULD smile!!"
I really enjoy visiting Sib and Bill.

Work yesterday was really tough! I was there by myself and had to help Peggy...(who was in Alpine) resolve a forgotten monogram order...now some of this order was stuff I'd never done before...so it was scary and there was LOTS of phone calling back and forth with Peggy...and folks kept coming in to buy pecos eagle crap because this Friday is homecoming. If I thought it'd have done any good I'd have sat down and cried! At least I don't have to go in today, Thurs. and Fri. until noon.
The football team has lost all 3 of the games they've played thus far.

My cat Harold was in a big fight last night. I didn't hear it but he's creeping around today obviously very sore and his ear is torn up. I havn't had a chance to really check him out yet. Hope he doesn't get abcessed. Wonder how his opponent fared...Harold is a big cat.

We got a half inch of rain the day before yesterday...yee-haw!

RADIO HOTLINE:
For Sale:
a quaker parrot. $100.
a pot bellied piglet. $50.
5 goats.
2 hogs.
Wanted:
left handed softball gloves.

Well bloggers...I guess that's all the B.S. for today.
Don't forget to leave comments if you can think of any.
Love, Mary

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG...that macchhhiiiieeen is an art form in itself. i hope geno has figured it out by now. the traveling stories are great too. what would Gareth possibly see in Pyote? maybe he is on the run from the M????? I hope harold is okay. what is a Hodge hog anyway?
ciao,
k