Friends of Pecos

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

LIFE IS SLOW IN PECOS.






You don't see a "leaner" very often when playing horseshoes.
Somebody got one last Saturday night.
Out here everybody plays "washers"...so if Gene can convince someone to play horseshoes...it's a big deal.
We had a couple of rookies over....one was a natural...his brother was not.

These concrete guys are my new friends.
They weigh a TON and Gene and I had a hard time lifting them into place on the see-ment wall.
We put them there since we have no see-ment pond.
They don't talk much.
I got them at an estate sale.
I talked myself out of going to the auction last Saturday...no wagon wheel for me.

We will be VERY glad when our patio is done and we can hang up decorations...ya know...bottlecap snakes and twinkly lights etc.
It's going to be like a mullet haircut...which is of course....business in the front and party in the back.
Our patio is going to be business on the sides and party inside.
We are going to leave the posts natural.
The sides are white as you can see.
Then we are going to paint the 2x4 cross beams inside (on the ceiling) tropical colors...purple, turquoise and coral.

We went to the Pecos Social Lodge again last Friday...it was hoppin'!
They ran out of steaks!
Glad we got there early.
There were about 50 folks there.
We put in our application to join.

I was eavesdropping on my boss Peggy yesterday as she was calling 'ol cowboys inviting them to the old timer's reunion and the cowboy hall of fame induction...it's during rodeo...the last weekend of June.
I'll go and listen to everybody meeting and greeting and reminisce-ing.
We lose many of them every year.

I cannot get computer ink here. Walmart used to have my kind but doesn't anymore. I HATE to drive 70 miles each way to get it...crappus.

I just ordered (online) a couple of underwater flashlights.
We are going to try a night snorkel.
Gene and I leave from Austin for Cozumel on the 27th. Actually we land in Cancun and then will take a bus south to Playa Del Carmen and stay there for 2 nights...then take the ferry over to Cozumel for 4 or 5 nights. We havn't done the "bag drag" in 15 years but the difference in airfare was just too irresistible. We got round trip tickets for $150. each...into Cozumel they were double that.

Sigh...time moves pretty slow out here.
I guess that's all the news.
At least I'm pretty sure that I have both brothers checking in regularly...and Dan and Carolynn and Vilma and Jamey check in when they can.
I gotcha hooked...hahaha.
THANKS FOR CONTINUING TO READ MY COUNTRY, DESERT DRIVEL!!

Love, mary

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Waaaal, shoot, Mary - all you have to do is send the name and nomenclature of the ink your printer uses and I'll run around the corner to the local Inksell people, get the stuff and send it to you. No 140 mile round trip involved!

R.B.