Friends of Pecos

Sunday, August 5, 2007

MARY'S FIRST AUCTION.







OMG! and whoa nellie! I'm hooked!
This auction was in Carlsbad, New Mexico. Debbie and her husband Neil came and picked me up...Gene didn't go. Debbie's mom Bessie also went and Debbie's friend Vanetta.
This auction was so interesting because it is a collection of possibly 200,000 items that will be auctioned once a month until next spring!!
It was a private "museum" from some deceased folks from Albuquerque. Their collection was showcased in the Smithsonian Institute's magazine. For example, this couple had over 60,000 wrenches...he was a big railroad tool collector. They have a working 1895 steam tractor...and just EVERYTHING.
They give you a card to bid with when you register and a catalog...today had over 600 items (and lots) and they sold the same amount yesterday....I was nervous.
Today's auction featured hundreds of peices of glassware, toasters, waffle irons, etc.etc.etc.
You can read about these amazing people and their collection at www.parkerbraden.com
Seeing the murphey bed that is disguised as an antique wardrobe is worth looking at on this site...it went for $1,000.

The auctioneer babbles really fast! There were alot of collectors and dealers there.
Sorry my 1st picture is so out of focus.
I got outbid from quite a few things...in the end that was good...
I missed out on some turquoise jewelry ( they had alot of jewelry), 2 silver topped canes, 2 huge artist signed burlwood vases (14 & 13"...i was thinking of YOU bobbie!)...an oil painting, sundry furniture....etc.etc.

Here are some comments by the auctioneer:
"Oh NO...not that amount....we want to SELL it...not RENT it!"
"This one's not broken yet folks."
"No?....You'll hate yourself in the morning!"
"You'll be the only one on your block to have one of these."
"Oh....this matches your dress!"
"We're at $50...50....50...do I hear $60.?.....$55.??? I never would've thought of that!"
"And that lady won't listen to me."

I ended up bringing home:
a chair...not pictured.
a quilt....it's the purple/orange one hanging up.
a solid marble victorian fern stand...it weighs a TON.
a graniteware tea kettle...not pictured.
an electrified oil lamp...that needs a shade.
red doll sized 3 piece furniture.
3 victorian framed prints..." All 3? I like the way you shop little lady!"

I overheard this conversation while I was outside taking a break. An old guy was talking to his daughter on a cellphone.
"Well, I'm moving to Mexico...tomorrow....because I'm going to KILL your Mother. They'll never find me there....no...no....you won't see me again. She's in there acting like an octopus...she has eight arms I tell you....she's holding up multiple cards at once......she's bidding on EVERYTHING. I better go now and see what the hell she's doing now."

GEE WALLY....dare I go to other auctions from this museum quality collection?
I'm scared.

After the 7 hours of auction....we drove around Carlsbad for about 45 minutes...it's a lovely place.

Rained hard here and there on the way home.

Love, mary

No comments: